The Importance Of Being Harpo
Friday, June 23, 2006
  Rev
I'm at work and just made myself a soothing pot of tea. We only have low-fat milk in the fridge. OK yes I'm grateful that my generous employer provides me such resources but who the hell insists that I put low-fat milk in my tea?

Here's a secret, people: low-fat milk is just water dyed white. You have removed the only thing that makes milk milk. It is the fat itself that congeals in the tea, that cuts the harshness of the tannins and gives the smoothness to the feel in the mouth. Tea made from low-fat milk is shit. There I said it.

All you people who put low-fat milk in your coffee are deluding yourselves. You want to lose weight? It's not the 80mg¹ of fat in the dash of milk that's tipping you over the edge, Porkboy. We had pizzas put on for lunch here today and you should have watched how quickly those low-fat-milk-sculling weight-control-freaks snorted down those mozzarella-topped, saturated-fat-filled beauties…

If you will only drink milk if there is no milk in it then, here's a tip, don't drink milk. Soy milk and rice milk seem to be popular alternatives. Do what you want but don't make me drink your miserable, whiny, watery, low-fat, milk-simulating products with you.

¹ I made that up. You want accuracy? Go watch darts, I'm making a point here…
 
Comments:
Dear Adolph,
I decided to try full fat milk after being so moved by your missive. I honestly can't tell the difference in my tea. Am I a culinary cretin?
Yours
Thin Colloid
 
Firstly, nice work there with the salutation although I might prefer to be called Arthur.

Secondly, I certainly wouldn't dream of calling anybody a culinary cretin on the evidence of only one horrible faux pas, however, I must say, the signs aren't good. Have another sip of your tasty darjeeling and get back to me.

Thirdly, you might be right, Mr Colloid: perhaps there's no difference.

(and yes, I know darjeeling is best without milk: it's just a funny-sounding tea variety)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /