The Importance Of Being Harpo
Monday, July 31, 2006
  Why do all 206 bones in my body ache?
OK, so I've spent the last week or so at Victoria's biggest ski resort. There was no snow. Truly sod all snow. Our worst snow season for 30 years, apparently. There was I standing on my board looking at grass. It was crap.

Passing through Bright on the way to the snowfields (snowfields!? Bah) there was a banner across the road saying “fight global warming” in reference to our utter lack of snow.

Global warming? Is it really the cause? Was global warming the cause of the season 30 years ago that was apparently worse than this one? Did global warming cause the extremely well snow-filled winter last season? And the season before? And currently in New Zealand, for example?

Fighting global warming is an admirable cause and I urge everybody to join the fight, however temperature fluctuations have been occuring for years (four and a half billion of them at last count) and there is not necessarily a causal link between me looking at bare grass on the summit and me having driven to the summit in a car.

Saying that the bad snow season is due to global warming is interesting. Saying that the bad snow season is due to natural meteorological processes is boring. I am going to string up a banner that says “fight natural meteorological processes” just for the whimsy of it.

 
Comments:
Sir:
You sound like a right wing shock jock who is keen to hold on to his humvee.
We have come to expect better from your fine organ. Please cancel my subscription immediately.
Yours
Irate in the Suburbs
 
When I drove to work in my humvee preparing my radio program for yet another of my right-wing rants (possibly something about immigrants or gay marriage) I was thinking to myself, wouldn't it be great to get some anonymous contributions to shake things up a bit.

Thank you for your input, Irate, you are quite right to pull me up on the general thoughtless crap I tend to put out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /