The Importance Of Being Harpo
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
  Breeding ignorance. Feeding radiation.
Sure there are some good movies from time to time but how good is TV these days? Once upon a time there were shows that ran half-an-hour and were full of characters you knew well and something would happen and 22 minutes plus ads later the issue would be resolved and Maxwell Smart has triumphed over KAOS once more.

And then something odd happened. David Lynch made a TV series called Twin Peaks which had—along with crazy stuff like little people with backmasked voices in dream sequences (woooh! Isn't it wacky! And a woman with a pet log! The man is a genius!)—a story arc that ran across the entire run of the show. This kind of thing had previously been unpopular with the networks as it meant that episodes couldn't be shown out of order. A few years later The X-Files sort of dabbled with this idea with their Smoking Man subplot but they concentrated on more of the “Well obviously, Mulder, he killed her because of the inheritance” “But, Scully, what if it was actually a hyper-intelligent, super-evolved form of waterlily” kind of episodes.

And now the Twin Peaks school has grown into cool shit like 24 and Deadwood where there is almost no division between episodes. It's as though you're watching a movie that lasts for the entire winter, it rocks. You can watch an actual movie and it'll last for an hour and a half (although these days it's often closer to three hours. While I am being all archeological, I date this trend back to Dances With Wolves. That flick has a lot to answer for) but hire, say, a series of West Wing on DVD and you're entertained for weeks. TV is great.

What other cool things are there to see? Anything with Ricky Gervais in it. Anything Joss Whedon does. What else?

 
Comments:
arrested development swoooooooon .... absolute brilliance.
 
You better backdafuckup on this sneery Lynch bashing. These shows which you claim are "cool" use crap plot devices just to get you to watch beyond the next ad break. They are the TV equivelant of the da vainchi code. Example "My god, I can't beleive what he has done to himself" (or simply someone looking horrified) then cut to a completely different plot line so your weak mind is left wondering "hmmm, I wonder what he did to himself...I better keep watching"....only to find out that it wasn't nearly as interesting as they made out it was going to be.
To big Lynchie's credit, while I agree some of it came across as whacky for wacky's sake, the plot devices were clever and layered...and crucially!!!! not everything is explained, some things are left hanging, some are red herrings AND, heaven forfend, sometimes you are left to work it out yourself.
These dullard shows you feel are derived from Twin Peaks are end to end lazy. There is no investment required by the viewer other than simply turning on the TV on time...everything else is spoonfed into there flabby brains along with the requisite ammount of titilation to get their willy hard enough so they'll tune in next week.
Twin Peaks was not amazing but at least it could provoke some active thought rather than just passive.
 
This a lesson to us all: never hint at any criticism of David Lynch when Unrelenting Tedium is in earshot or he'll accuse you of having a weak mind that dislikes active thought.

Not that, in my case, he's far wrong about that of course but he'll voice his accusations in a public forum and then have a sneery crack at the Da Vinci Code. Now who should back the fuck up, eh?

I watched Twin Peaks with pleasure at the time and was happily titillated by Lara Flynn Boyle. The only active thought I remember having about the dream sequences and the log lady was pretty much "that man is trying too hard."

The show was clearly something brand new. It introduced many concepts to serial television, only one of which was the idea of the story arc and it was this particular concept that has been picked up by later shows and makes them more enjoyable for me to watch.

I won't argue with you about the spoonfeeding thing. That point is hard to counter.
 
And Arrested Development is terrific. I haven't seen enough of it.
 
I don't mean anything by the link other than adding grist to this fine mill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5321270.stm
 
Also...I know I am unhip but what does "/* mean? A quick google uncovered nothing.
 
David Lynch has won a well-deserved accolade. Congratulations to him.

/* when paired with its twin */ was the delimiter for comments in C and therefore in C++ and, as such, became the fashion for delimiting comments in many later languages, including CSS. Where do you see it? I know I am unhip but I can't spot it on this site.

And, thank you Rebecca. Firefly is the one reason for the invention of television. I'm afraid I've never heard of Max X
 
A fine explanation. I use opera and I just checked the comments page in firefox and it seems that where you and mel used italics it deleted the word and replaced it with "/*. Silly old me thought you I was missing out on some hip new lingo that all the kids were using. I wonder what happens if I do it here
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /