The Importance Of Being Harpo
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
  Further thoughts
OK. In my last post about my wallet getting stolen I was writing in a sort of whimsical manner but I was then and am still pretty cross about it all, but you know most of us lose wallets and it was just my turn etc etc. Nobody died, I'll get my cards replaced and it'll be as if nothing happened and so on.

So I rode to work on Monday and laboured to the best of my endeavour for my employers and their shareholders and then I went home.

And discovered that the car had been stolen.

I've been forced to consider the nature of property these last few days. I spent Cup Day meditating on the meaning of ownership and its place in identity and I was looking about my home and I asked myself ‘which of the objects here do I actually love? What here, if it were taken from me, would I mourn like a lost lover?’ I could not truly think of anything that way, the closest I came to were my box of photos, my Highway 1 Fender bass and the power amp that I built. But I can do without them sure. In the past I would have said my piano but that's been at my parent's place for a couple of years now (my home is not very big, you see) and I'm still living.

That is not an invitation for the universe to come and deprive my of my stuff though. I would prefer to keep my gear because I have some nice things and I really did like the car.

If anybody spots a faded blue '82 Falcon (shown in the photo up at Hotham last winter with my neighbour, Andrew) with lowered suspension and rust patches on the roof abandoned in a supermarket carpark perhaps or a nearby creek, do consider dropping me a note.

And if you stole it, fuck you.

 
Comments:
Christ. It sounds like you had removed your gear from it at least. You are having a bad bad run.
 
Yes. I did not have my gear in it, thank heavens.

I chose not to bet on the Cup, by the way. Didn't think it was wise.
 
Oh for crying out loud.

That really sucks.

The universe owes you big time.
 
You must have been a real shit in your past lives.

Sorry to hear of all these catastrophes. I hope you were insured?
 
Insured for third-party only. I had bad luck with the car and the wallet, but good luck in other things: I have not suffered from ill-health, I have a good job and am quite well paid, I have good friends, I have the tremendous fortune of having been born in Australia. Blah blah. Well, dammit, now that I've written it out it is not much is it? I am cursed with bad luck! The universe does owe me big time. I hope I had a jolly good time being a real shit in my past lives.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /