The Importance Of Being Harpo
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
  An unhappy confession
I have friends who are dog people and several have lovely pets. A joy is given to them which sadly is denied me because I have to say that it seems I am not a dog person.

Being a Not Dog Person as I am I miss out on the companionship, the unconditional love and the pleasure of nurturing.

But dog people appear to be oblivious to the unstinting motion, the poo, the way the dogs eat everything, and the noise oh the noise. My god. Stop barking. These dogs bark all the time. They bark and they bark. Barking whenever they see other dogs, whenever they see other people, whenever they don't see their owner, whenever it's time to get in the car, whenever the moon's out, whenever they're outside, whenever they're inside, whenever they're breathing. The little bastards bark. Dog people appear to be oblivious to it.

“But ah,” say the dog people who may be taking this as a criticism of their own beloved and well-behaved pet and perhaps of their entire way of life, “but ah, dogs can be trained to be perfectly behaved.” And they are certainly right. But the thing is the dogs never are trained to be perfectly behaved. Dogs tend to be well-trained up to a point and that point is where dog people feel happy with the behaviour of the dog. The dogs usually come back when they're called for except when they're frolicking with some new dogly friend on the far side of the park, the dogs are quiet docile little chaps but when their territory is invaded by some strange dogly intruder they'll bark and the dog people have to shrug and say, “whatever, it's just dogly behaviour”. Sadly — and it is a fault in ourselves, certainly — we not dog people are cursed with less tolerance.

I have many pleasures available to me. I am capable of enjoying many things — a book with a beautiful ending, a long summer's afternoon on the porch, a cracking cover drive, holding hands with a Pretty Lady — it's this one I fear I just never got.

 
Comments:
My dogs no bark. Stink, yes. Bark, wierdly no.
 
My dogs bark, fart, lick, roll in disgusting stuff and just adore me. And I just love 'em right back.

I guess I'm dogly.
 
Splendid news from both of you. Keep up the excellent work and hooray for your dogs.

As our resident dog person representatives can I ask a question? I claim in the post that you are oblivious to the stink and the rolling in disgusting stuff. Is that true? Or do you find yourselves irritated and put-upon but that the joys outweigh that?
 
As a dog person with no current dog (perhaps the country move will solve that)

I can say that

a. I am not oblivious to smell/irritation having a dog means. That's why my dogs have always been outside dogs, but hasn't stopped me gratefully accepting being rolled upon/licked etc by said dogs

b. OMFG the poo. I HATE that. And as a non-dog-owner at present, for god's sake people how hard is it to clean up after your dog? I did, and I don't see why anyone else should get away with it.

c. Dogs I have had for some reason not very "bark'y". Must be because I myself talk so much that they fear they cannot get a bark in edgeways.

d. joys outweigh this substantially

As with many of my foibles - don't really mind if other people not dog people, and will do my best not to inflict my doggishness on them.

GW
 
Like GW, I am not oblivious to the irritations of smelliness and noisiness. But a bit of a bath and a distraction can fix both of these. The joys FAR outweigh the irritations.

Non-dogly friends seem to endure their visits with good grace, however, even though our dogs are inside dogs. (We have an enormous doggy door that is always open so they can come in and out at will.) Our friends generally leave less pristine than they arrived, though, as one of our dogs is a real shedder. SORRY FRIENDS!
 
Also Harpo, there is this:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/openletters/
 
i am less tolerant of the characteristics as the years roll by. when there is so much trouble in the world ("why is there so much trouble in the world?" blue velvet), why is there so much room in people's hearts for noise - brainless, witless noise - and all those secretions, excretions and, yes, noise?
 
GW,
Liked the open letter. I'm sure your dog, when you get one, will be a sweetie. Cheers for the insight into the heart of a dog person.

Meva,
You have your eyes out for we non-doglies and I for one appreciate it.

TCB,
Indeed, it's not your bag and it's not my bag but the many dog-lovers, as we can see here, find that the love outweighs it and, as I've said before, the more love in the world the better.
Unrelenting Tedium has already launched into me for making a snide comment about David Lynch in the past so I'll leave Blue Velvet alone.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /