The Importance Of Being Harpo
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
  Not a vegetarian
If I can wind our minds back to ancient history for a moment, the day my housemate left to spend Christmas and New Year's with his family in country South Australia he gave me a Christmas gift: a leg of smoked ham. OK I spent the Christmas break in a house by myself with four-and-a-half kilograms of smoked ham.

Four-and-a-half kilograms. What are you supposed to do?

It has been several weeks now since Christmas and I am still eating ham. Ham on toast for breakfast. Ham sandwiches for lunch. Ham in my noodles for dinner. Ham on Ritzes in front of West Wing DVDs before I go to bed.

“Hey guys,” I tell my friends, “come over to my place and we'll have ham.”

Ham béarnaise.

Trifle with ham.

Gin and tonic and ham.

Lobster Thermidor aux Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle paté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and ham.

Just between you and me — I think that's too much ham.

 
Comments:
I'll pass on the G&T with ham (prefer a slice of lemon, personally), but that lobster sounds awesome!
 
Recipe ideas:

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
 
Oh that takes me back.
When I was a kids my dad used to get hampers galore from business associates. They were decadent, stupid things, especially cos we got so many. Inevitably we'd get MULTIPLE LEGS OF HAM.

[word verification: rdeoo]
 
Have you considered starting up a radio show to talk about this? I think we all know what that would be called.
 
Lo! How I wish again that I were you, Harpo. I love Christmas ham and all its salty/jammy goodness.

We used to have Christmas Eve drinks at our house. One year I put out slices of Christmas ham with the dips/chips etc. That sucker was gone in five minutes, with people only pausing to exclaim "HAM! I LOVE HAM! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE HAM!" while chewing furiously.

However, Mr Fix tends to be a bit over it by the time I am (as you have) adding ham to smoothies and layer-cakes*.


* Pfft! Like I make layer-cakes. I do make a mean panna cotta, but it doesn't contain any ham and is therefore useless to you.
 
Meva: lovely ham, wonderful ham. Nothing goes better with lobster than ham. I needed a change from ham yesterday so I had pork chops for dinner. I think I'll have some bacon and eggs for my Saturday Treat Breakfast tomorrow.

TB: Marcy must be stopped. How good is the commentary! “A universe beyond gay.” “Yes, let's have these in brandy snifters. Let's just tip our heads back and let the chunks slide in.” Poetry.

Bonnie: as our resident ham overdose expert, what symptoms can I expect? I'm noticing general listlessness, peeling skin and a lack of appetite for ham.

IN Craig: you are trying to make me regret having spoken in favour of punning, aren't you. Not going to happen — keep up the good work.

Gigglewick: panna cotta and ham. The one thing I haven't tried. I am now obliged to tick that off my list. But I agree with you, the leg of ham was a fine Christmas treat if only for the first week.
 
gin and tonic and ham sounds DELISH!
 
Nope. After a great deal of experimentation I declare that Meva's suggestion is better. Gin and tonic and lemon is clearly the way to go.

But then, gin and HAM and lemon is an absolute cracker.

But I've followed your lead, Rebecca. The final scraps of the leg have gone to the trash and I want to see no more until next Christmas.

This blog is officially done with ham.

In fact, dammit, I'm going to close the comments on this thread. No more ham.
 




<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /