The Importance Of Being Harpo
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
  The world was round last time I looked at it
This Friday is Australia Day and that excites me. There may be some people reading this to whom this is news so I guess I had better explain the significance of this celebration to them. A couple of hundred years ago a bunch of people fell off a boat and decided that this country was theirs and that they would set up shop. The fact that people had already set up shop here was ignored because they didn't have muskets or a conservative fiscal policy and so Australia Day was born.

Celebrations include fireworks, barbecues, citizenship ceremonies and — the one thing that stops a nation — a speech from our prime minister.

Throughout the land little children will be filled with joy as their loving hearts swell with pride for their country and crowds will spontaneously gather on footpaths to wave little flags and cheer and swap stories about civic duty and national fervour.

As I say, Australia Day excites me. I shall be wearing an Akubra and Blundstones. I shall be wearing Stubbies and a blue singlet. I shall be singing in joyful strains about waltzing Matildas and how women glow and men plunder. I shall be draped in the flag of the southern cross, our beloved federation star and the union jack. Oh I am so thrilled to have our colonial subservience to our Queen (I did but see her passing by but I shall love her till I die) acknowledged so prominently. I shall be dodging canetoads and making racist comments. I shall be eating damper and pavlova. I shall be planting banksias and dying of thirst in a desert. I shall be winning gold medals in swimming and beach volleyball. I shall be getting eaten by sharks and stung by stingrays. I shall be mining uranium with my hand over my heart, crying “Australia, it is to you I give my fidelity. To you I give my faith. Oh, fair homeland, accept my humble praise.”

And so thank heavens we are celebrating Australia Day. Otherwise I would forget that part.

 
Comments:
Celebrate What's Great?

Yeah.

Bloody oath.
 
Oh, harpo! If only all the jingoistic posturing we can expect for the next few days was tongue in cheek.
 
Bonnie Conquest,

"Bloody oath" is exactly what's great about this country.

I'm reminded of this:

On seeing Indian migrants moving into their street:

"My grandmother had a funny look in her eyes. I think it is cataracts, but my mother says is jingoism".

- Adrian Mole

Harpo: was there a spot the unAustralian in that sentence, because I'm pretty sure we're all suppposed to hate Blundstones now. That is, if we have any sense of civic pride.
 
Oh, are we? I find it so difficult to keep up with what is meant to be Australian. Does that mean I have to do my tongue in cheek celebration of what's great in thongs?
 
Apparently we also have to watch some complete musical apocalypse on Channel 10 involving the cast of Priscilla the Musical, the absolute massacring of "Under the Milky Way" and, perhaps worst of all, Gretel.

I love this country, but that concert really did make me wonder if it loves me back.
 
it's not "Australian" until you have passed out drunk on a blown up silver goon bag from the cask wine.
 
Oh no! And I missed out on being forced to sit through Priscilla and Gretel and didn't even join M at the bottom of her cask. This is going so badly. I just drank crownies and then went to a houseparty as the only person there without a costume. Curses.

IN Craig, I don't know if you really should be equating television programming with Australian culture. Particularly Channel 10's. Is the channel that brought you The Biggest Loser, The NBL and Angela Bishop truly the guide to what is Australian? I shudder. Perhaps Channel 10 loves us but we don't have to love it back.

But your test sounds much more likely, M.
 
Dude, the NBL is as Australian as, um, Sara Lee Apple Pie . The Biggest Loser is as Australian as, well, Australian Survivor, which even has Australian in the title.
And Angela Bishop actually is pretty damn Australian, and frankly has done well for herself considering her disadvantaged upbringing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /