The Importance Of Being Harpo
Friday, June 15, 2007
  The Dawkins meme
The ever-enjoyable I'm Not Craig has tagged me in a post he has entitled “I still don't know how to pronounce ‘meme’”. This comes after he ended a post last week with the line “I promise to shut up about Richard Dawkins for a while” — Dawkins's TV show about religion had provoked some discussion — which is fine and all but here's a nice coincidence: it was Dawkins himself who invented the meme!

He didn't invent these “6 wierd things about me” blog posts as such, rather the meme was introduced in his first best-seller The Selfish Gene as an example of the power of self-replication.

The book is, of course, about evolution and describes the mechanism of genetics: how processes that promote the propogation of almost perfect copies of genes from generation to generation are more likely to continue than other processes. It is a well-written, entertaining, rigorous read that attempts to share some of Darwinism's beauty and magic.

At one stage in the book Dawkins wanted to make the point that genes need not be the only type of replicator that does that and suggested that cultural ideas act in pretty much the same way. Popular songs, views on Julia Gillard, jokes about Damir Dokic: they live in one person's mind and can be passed on to the mind of the person next to him through the mechanism of speech.

As with genes, some memes are better at propagation than others. Dawkins elegantly describes the example of the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne. The refrain is almost universally sung ‘For the sake of auld lang syne’ when Burns actually wrote ‘For auld lang syne’. Why has this mutation survived so well in the meme pool? Dawkins suggests that as most people learn this song by listening to other people singing it rather than by looking it up in their copy of the Scottish Student's Songbook. If you are unsure of the words and are nervously singing along with a large group of people belting out this old classic and, no matter how loudly the people who actually know the correct words are singing, if there is even only one person erroneously throwing in the ‘for sake of ’ bit, you will hear it loud and clear — the S and the K really cut through the sound and that's what you hear and, thus, you think that's how the song goes.

This idea of a cultural unit acting as replicating entity entered the language shortly after the publication of Dawkins's book (acting memetically as he himself later noted) and some blogger must have applied the word to this idea of taking some rules about what to post and passing them to one of your blogfriends. The rules are replicated, you understand.

Anyway, for INC's pleasure I'll quote the paragraph where it makes its first appearance:

We need a noun for the new replicator, a noun that conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation. ‘Mimeme’ comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds a bit like ‘gene’. I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate mimeme to meme. If it is any consolation, it could be related to ‘memory’ or to the French word même. It should be pronounced to rhyme with ‘cream’

And to join in with this particular meme I'll say that one of the wierd things about me is that I tend to write pompously when the subject turns to something I once read about.

 
Comments:
I am torn between 'this is fantastic' and 'dude how the hell do you remember stuff like that'.

Either way, great post and thanks, even if it does prove that I have been mispronouncing 'meme' for several months.

The tragic part is that I have therefore also been mispronouncing 'meme-licious'.

The good news is that next time I get tagged, I can call the post "That's what memes are made of".
 
Ahaha! Good on you, INC.

Exactly how often does the word 'meme-licious' come up in conversation?
 
Dude...

where have all the badgers gone?
 
We don't need no steenkin' badgers.
 
Having just finished Dawkins' latest, The God Delusion, I can report that his writing style also tends towards pomposity. Perhaps you are memetically replicating the Dawk?

Although, in fairness to RD, it must be said that he is FAR more pompous still on television, where I find his smug superiority a little overbearing.
 
I have neither read the God Delusion nor seen him on telly but I enjoyed his earlier books on evolutionary biology. Some were cracking good reads. Not nearly so pompous, perhaps. But then I don't think smug superiority is so bad.

I don't remember him having much to say about badgers: my kind of guy.
 
his aggressive disdain for dudes of faith is so fervent it verges on jihad. He appears relatively oblivious to the irony. On the plus side, he was best mates with Douglas Adams.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /