The Importance Of Being Harpo
Thursday, July 19, 2007
  Like a native
I get down, out of kilter and bored from time to time, it's true. When that happens I like to start teaching myself a new language.

This winter I've been giving Chinese a go and it's certainly a challenging language to try. I stroll down Little Bourke St looking at all the signs and saying to myself “wouldn't it be nice if I could read that” which is essentially the level of my current fluency in the language.

In fact I know only a few phrases.

Immersion is certainly the name of the game when you try to learn a language so I am culling my DVDs (does anybody want my Gary Oldman collection? I also have some of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmeses you can take) and replacing them with Chinese language ones.

I have a number of the Hong Kong Jackie Chan movies dubbed into Mandarin now and after watching them, these are the Chinese phrases I know:

and, of course:

 
Comments:
what a coincidence - my bosses suggested to me today that they'd like me to learn mandarin chinese. where are you learning?
 
That certainly is a coincidence. Are the bosses threatening to send you over? A trip to China would be sweet.

I'm not learning at a school: I teach myself. I'm essentially following a combination of the Antimoon Method and the Project A Method
 
Project A Part II was the better film.

Just saying.

And also, I think "hyaaaaa" is an esperanto-like phrase which transcends dialect (although would be pleased to be corrected on that).
 
I was quite surprised that “hhyyyaaaaaa” meant the same thing in Chinese as it did in English.

Both Project As were awesome. All three Police Stories? Awesome. Even Armour of God — which was crap — was awesome.
 
I'm quite the fan of

a) skirt fighting

b) wooden bench fighting

and

c) push-bike fighting

Who wouldn't be?
 
Surely you also know how to say "Who wrote this crap and what the hell is Jennifer Love Hewitt doing here?"

That's going to come in handy someday
 
Woah there, INCraig. First you suggest that the writing in a martial arts movie is somehow below the ideal level of quality, and then you seem to suggest that Jennifer Love Hewitt shouldn't be anywhere she wants to be!

I'm shocked! Shocked!

I might need to throw myself through panes of glass, jump off clocktowers and drive cars through hillsides full of shanties just to calm down.

I too can recommend skirt fighting, wooden bench fighting and push-bike fighting to all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /