The Importance Of Being Harpo
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
  Presents cricket melons
In yet another of those you-know-you're-getting-old-when moments that seem to be cascading past in staggering numbers at the moment, I'm pretty sure that my birthday last week was the first I've ever had where I received no presents at all.

The birthday was lovely and I spoke to lots of family and friends and the crew at the office made a fuss and we all had cake. Delightful. But dammit, I would have liked a present.

Certainly nothing elaborate: maybe a cute Harpo mug, or a nice little picture frame, or even some deodorant or an old shareware copy of Doom or something. I'd have been thrilled…

The cricket club had a practice match on the weekend. It was the first time I'd had a cricket bat in my hand since an eye operation I underwent earlier in the year and oh my god what a difference it makes. I admit I was facing some rather toothless bowling but the ease with which I could pick up the pace of the ball and get to the pitch was thrilling. Sport hasn't been very enjoyable these last few years but I am really looking forward to this new season now.

The practice match itself was a pleasure. Sunday was a beautiful afternoon. A number of players from another club we get on well with joined us and we had a couple of games on neighbouring fields going. The other crowd gave us an afternoon tea and we put on a BBQ after the game. It was good-spirited, slow-tempo, relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable.

I haven't posted with any particular point this morning. So what's new, eh?

Does anybody know any jokes? Why did the melons get married at home? Because they cantaloupe.

 
Comments:
I suppose a true freind would have such information in some sort automated device...like a mobile...but even so you might drop the odd hint within earshot that your birthday is coming up...or better still suggest you are having birthday drinks...and then you might get a present!!! So what date is it so I can put it in some sort of automated device?
 
You know I would have got you something (a risotto pan, f'r'instance) but I would not know where to deliver it.

Glad to hear you had a pleasant day, even if it was present-free.

My grandfather was telling a story recently about how the only time anyone knew it was his father's birthday was when he (great-grandfather) cooked himself an enormous feast to celebrate. Seems G-G was working on the Chinese lunar calendar (he didn't hold with these western notions) and was the only person in his immediate vicinity who knew when his birthday was.

I think the moral of that somewhat rambling story as it applies to you, dear Harpo, is: could be worse.

Hoorah for cricket, also.

here is my favourite joke....

Q: What do you do when you see a space man?

A: Park in it, man.

And also:

Q: Why did the boy fall off his bike?

A: Because a fridge hit him.

And also:

Q: What is orange and sinks to the bottom of the pool?

A: A bulldozer.

Q: What is orange and yellow and floats?

A: A bulldozer wearing floaties.

As some may say, ra da da da da da, ra da da da da da, ra da da da da da da da da-ra-da!

I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitrons, etc.
 
I have an old shareware copy of Doom. I cant play it anymore because I started to dream about the corridors. Then I realised it's good to go outside sometimes.

Also: happy birthday. Sign up for Facebook, that way everyone knows when it's your birthday.
 
A dog walks into a telegraph office. The telegraph clerk watches as the dog takes a pencil in his mouth and starts filling out the form. When he's done, he carries the form in his mouth up to the clerk. The message he wants to send says "Woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof".

The clerk says to the dog, "you know, there are only nine woofs here. You could add one more woof for the same price", and the dog says "but then it would make no sense at all".
 
Tedium — you're making the point that it's all my fault. This I know already and it makes me feel glum. The date actually is the 19th. You can put that in some sort of automated device now.

Gigglewick — a risotto pan! Genius. Not that I hold with these western notions of crockery. You could have followed UT's lead and simply ask for my address. You're quite right, it could be worse.

Charlotte — You've caught me out there. When I said I didn't receive any presents I rudely discounted the magnificent Facebook cow my brother sent me.

Gigglewick and Captain Smack — I loved the jokes. Hahaha, cheers.
 
I've probably used this one around the internet before, but since we're doing fruit and vegetable jokes:

What's red round and invisible?
No tomatoes
 
Three notes walk into a bar — a C, an Eb and a G. Barman says “sorry, we don't server minors.”
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is rumoured to have hobbies.


Contact
Send stuff to my email address

Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / July 2008 / July 2010 /